Lots of pictures today!
I finished two quilts this week. One of these is completely new and the other one you may remember from last week. This is what I showed you then.
I had a pretty floral fabric in my stash for the back and used the darkest fabric from the top to bind the quilt with.
I have named this quilt “Dotted Flowers”
Thanks Mom for holding this one up for me!
I quilted this one with some large flowers that are dotted around the quilt (hence the name “Dotted Flower”) that also tie in with the prints on the fabrics: dots and flowers/leaves.
As the backing fabric was a bit to short, I added some red and white polka dots! Just love those!!!
Quilt stats “Dotted Flowers”:
- Just a bit bigger than 51 x 61 inches
- 100% Cotton fabrics, front and back
- Batting: Hobbs 80-20
- Thread: Gutermann, beige.
- Time: about a week and a half.
- This quilt will be added to my etsy store very soon!
The other quilt I made this week was kind of an emergency quilt. One of my dear friends lost her father-in-law last week. In his last week the father-in-law requested a vacation with the family: his son, my friend and their two young children and FIL went to an island in the north of the country (Vlieland). The vacation was emotional and wonderful. Very very very shortly after that vacation the FIL passed away.
This Saturday I set myself to making a quilt representing this family vacation. I wished for the two young boys to be able to snuggle up with their parents and talk about the island vacation and what happend to their grandfather. I chose fabric with a nautical theme, autumn and of course big trucks as I think that young boys will like those anyway.
I worked with 9 different fabrics for the squares. I laid them out using the answer key of a sudoku puzzle. Each number signified a certain piece of fabric. This way you get a even distribution of the fabrics. Sometimes you get clusters of colours though, it is very random!
Each piece of fabric was 6,5 inches.
I built the quilt as a Nine Patch.
Here are some close-ups of the fabrics:
After all of the 9 blocks were finished, I added a solid blue as a border and bound it with a “watery” quilting cotton.
I quilted it with loops to symbolize the wind and water on the island. Also the three loops were a part of the pattern on the light blue boats fabric.
Here you see the backing light blue fabric that felt like clean crips sheets. Wonderful!
In the blue border I quilted words that had to do with the vacation.
and so on and so on…
Quilt stats “Vlieland”:
- A bit larger than 60 x 60 inches,
- All 100% cotton fabrics
- Quilted with a light silvery Aurifil thread (Which went dreadfully! I will talk about this another time. I know what went wrong, thankfully!)
- Mailed on Monday and hopefully received today.
- This was kind of a stressful project as I wanted it to mail it on Monday. Boy, I knew that making a quilt was a lot of work, but making a new one in a day and a half is something that I will not do again… if I can help it. :-)
Thank you for visiting my blog today!
I will be linking up with “I Quilt Linky Party” at Pretty Bobbins, “Needle and Thread Thursday” at My Quilt Infatuation and “Finish it Up Friday” at Crazy Mom Quilts! And also to Michelle’s Romantic Tangle’s “Let’s make Baby Quilts” and “The Free Motion Quilting Project” over at Leah Day’s blog.