Yesterday I was in the mood for learning something new. Free Motion Quilting was on top of my must-learn-list, so I grabbed my grandmother’s sewing machine’s manuel and tried to figure out which foot I needed to use. The old machine came with a little box full of different feet (Those I will have to test in the future. Put it on the must -leanr-list, Esther!) It turned out I needed to put the darning foot on. This is somewhat of a contraption with a foot and a seperate hook at the back of the machine near the handle of the presser foot. I have scanned the picture in the manuel so you can understand what I am talking about.
The hook at the back is not bent like in the drawing, but just straight. I also had to change a little plate underneath the foot. (not in the pictures)
So the mini adventure of FMQ began! I started out with some pebbles and “stuff”. I discovered that the tension of the thread was not right and that it had to do with the fact that I had not correctly put the hook on the back of the foot/machine. After correction that things were much beter.
I found it hard to control the fabric underneath the foot; movement was “jagged” because of the roughness of the wooded table. The fabric did not slide enough. I have seen special products online that you can put on the table to make it extra slippery so the fabric can slide much easier. Well, I do not have one of those (yet?) and I personally think they are rather expensive for a piece of plastic!
So… an idea popped in my head: “What if I use the flexible teflon cookie sheet?” I ran to the kitchen and dug out the black paper-like sheet that I put under cookies on the metal tray. I cut a hole in it and stuck it to the sewing table with some tape. And away we wizzed! SO MUCH BETTER! I do not know how this sheet compares with the real “FMQ-sheets”, but it works for me at the moment. I can practise at this new technique without breaking the bank. I think the sheet cost me a few euros, but I do not remember where I bought it. It must have been a store like Blokker.
(I took this picture this morning after I had disassembled the whole thing again… so use your imagination, please! 😉 )
Here are two pictures of FMQ with the cookiesheet:
I like how the stippling is going, the rest is pretty OK for the “first time around”, I think. I discovered I realy like doing this, much more than I anticipated.
Maybe I will make some cookies today, but with out the sheet that now has a hole in it!