OOOPS I just hit “Publish” before there was anything to publish! Result: Empty blog entry and all of you receiving an email of my mistake! Sorry!!!
This is what I wanted to tell you:
Last Friday I linked up with several other blogs celebrating “Friday Finishes”. Wow, that was just incredible! I was so overwhelmed by all of the clicks and comments! Thank you all. You made my day(s)!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
One of my co-workers at school became a grandfather this week, so a baby quilt was in order! I found a reason to play with fabrics…again! I just could not resist cutting into some of the vintage fabrics I found this Saturday. I wanted to try out the larger (8 inch) patterns of “Take a Bow”. I used a soft blue fabrics for the bows and the squares. The bows are paper pieced and the squares were made with the “Scrappy Trip Along”-trick! This “trip” was so easy! The squares came together rather quick. If you have not tried this technique before, please give it a go! It was very gratifying to work on them.
I changed the “scrappy trip” by not building diagonals but zig zags. I like that better for a small quilt like this.
After piecing the top I changed my mind about the backing and ended up using a remnant of gray fleece. Of course the fleece was toooooo small!!! I went ahead anyway and decided on cutting the top back to fit the fleece after quilting. I had to cut about 1 inch of all around. Not too bad, right?
I used a tutorial on “orange peel quilting” from “Oh, Fransson”. The stiches are not as perfect as I had wanted, but they are fine… so that is how they stayed! 😉
I quilted in the ditch around each of the bows.
Some creative piecing was necessary for this last bow as I miscalculated the fabric I needed…The centre of the bow is now made of three pieces instead of one. Luckily the flower pattern is very forgiving! Phew!
I bound the quilt with a light gray fabric that matched much better than a very dark blue I had in mind before. That was soooo harsh! I am glad I did not use that.
The orange peels on the back! And of course a picture of the whole baby quilt before it went into the washing machine (now already drying!) The finished quilt was made with vintage fabrics only, except for the fleece. It measures 28 x 29 inches.
And of course I had to try making a pink one on a request from my mother who really like the blue one. I am making this one bigger and will create a diamond shape in the centre of the “square section”. I think I will also need to make more than three of those pretty bows!
I am linking up with Lily’s Quilts. Just click on the button for the “Small Blog Meet”.