In Friday’s post I showed you the pink quilt top that I had made with the “Cloud Nine” pattern. I was so overwhelmed with all of the positive feedback! You are all such great people!!! Thank you for letting me be a part of the quilting community!
Yesterday morning I was answering all of your wonderful comments. Here is one of them:
Esther both of your quilts are wonderful. I love any quilt on point. Can’t wait for the tutorial.
Hi Nancy! Yeah it looks like the whole thing is on point. It is more dynamic this way, I agree. I am so loving working this pattern! Hope that other quilters will try it out too!
And then it dawned on me…. IT’S ON POINT!!!
I have been making block “the hard way” instead of assembling blocks on point! So, you have guessed it! Now I am making another version, this one on point. I am trying to determine which method works best.
Just to refresh your memory; underneath are the two blocks that make up the pattern in the old version.
In the pink quilt top you can still see the nine different blocks.
My conclusions so far:
1. old version: only 2 different blocks ( 9 in total )
new version: many more! ( 25 in total )
2. old version: 1 block is easy, the other block is more difficult due to the precise cutting instructions
new version: mostly simple blocks, but some are in mirror image. Can be tricky for some quilters.
3. old version: lots of interlocking seams, handy for precise piecing
new version: less difficult points to match up, but more blocks in total: More room for error!
4. old version: quite a few different measurements to cut from fabric
new version: just a few different measurements to cut from fabric
5. I have also found that in the new version I could was able to use squares in the blocks. Instead of combining 4 HST into one square I could now just use 1 square! Less work!
Well, there you have it! I am on a steep learning curve! 😉
Do you think I should write TWO tutorials so you can decide for yourself which one suits you best?
If so, which tutorial (old version or new version) would you like to see first?
Okay, it is time for some tea now to clear my “clouded mind” !!!