It is Monday, so it is time to show you some more McTavishing! I finished 5 blocks in the last week for the Soy Amado quilt. Four of these have my version of McTavishing on them.
Looking at these 4 blocks, I see elements that I like and elements that I do not like. I have analyzed the curves as I am trying to find out why one block looks “better” than another. I am happy with how the blocks look, but I would like to get closer and closer to the look I am going for. So, here is the self critique! (“Results of the Dutch jury” ha ha, 12 points!”! Okay, this was a reference to the European Songfestival…. not something I watch on tv, but we all know about!) )
– The distance between the lines varies a lot in this first block. I like it better when they are a bit more uniform, but not TOO uniform…
– Sometimes my echoing is not parallel to the previous line, especially with the short filler lines. (Really, I am all over the place!) I like it better when the lines are more parallel.
– The distance between the lines is more uniform. I like this!
– Most of the longer lines have a vertical direction. I need to use more different directions. (now I am complaining that it is TOO uniform…. ;-) )
– See the longer curve in the lower right corner that curves all the way to the edge? To me it looks like a duck’s beak. (Or maybe pelican!) Don’t like! So, try not to make QUACK lines! LOL!
– I like the backtracking on the longer curves. It looks like shadow.
– The longer curves now go in more various directions. That is better…
… but then there is this:
Something is up with the tension on the old Pfaff. I will give her a good cleaning next time and hope it “goes away!”
A different one! An old orphan block that was a test block for Dazzle.
Simple stitch in the ditch around the paper piecing and FMQ in the dark border. The Soy Amado quilt will contain a lot of hearts: hearts in fabrics and hearts in FMQ:
I “heart” learning and giving!
P.S. I am linking up with all of these parties:
Amy Free Motion Quilting Aventures for the McTavish Along
Stitch by Stitch for Anything Goes Monday
Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story
Linky Tuesday @ Freemotion by the River
Show and Tell Tuesday @ I have to say
Sew Cute Tuesday @ Blossom Heart Quilt