Sometimes you make a quilt for someone who just NEEDS it. Need in the sense of object to keep that person warm, need in the sense of the act of caring for that person.
This is one of those quilts.
Earthy warm colors combined with blacks.
A bit of vintage floral ’70s fabric that I had saved for something special.
The quilt needed to be bigger… so I added the plum Moda Marble between the rows of churn dashes.
These dark colors were actually way out of my comfort zone. I had to keep myself motivated to keep going.
I doubted myself at this moment.
Luckily my cat spurred me on by letting me know that the quilt was really comfy! 🙂
With all of the last bits of fabric, I added a kind of piano key border on the top and bottom. The quilt had to get to the largest size possible.
Basting on the floor!
With a large piece of plexiglass on top of the basted quilt, I started drawing on some design ideas for the quilting (with an dry erase marker). Goals was to create a new pattern for each churn dash.
The design pictures were taken late at night and ar blurry because of that… whoops!
For marking the design on the quilt top I used longarm rulers, chalk pens and the blue water soluable pens.
The quilted look.
And part of that design quilted seen from the back:
Oh, how I adore that floral fabric!
Another design from the front and the back:
And some more:
I also came up with several ideas for each of the border strips between the churn dashes.
From the front all looked gorgeous!
From the back it was clear that there were large parts of the quilt that were still unquilted.
This was going to be a problem! I didn’t want the batting to sag or rip in these places after a few washings. It needed to be quilted the same density all over!
Back in I went!
(It really is all the same color blue on this backing fabric, but the lighting makes it look so different in each picture.)
See all the different colors of thread? I matched to the color on the quilt top. It created a lovely effect on the back.
Even though my machine did create some puckers… bleh!
The quilt did shrink considerably due to all the dense quilting and the washing. It just fits a bed.
Bound with a black fabric with a playful little white stripe.
What I learned:
- I adore dense quilting.
- I adore coming up with new FMQ designs.
- The plexi glass sheet was really helpful during the design process.
- My shoulders really can’t handle large projects like this on a tight time schedule. Don’t try to do this again….
- Even though I really was insecure about the color scheme, I am happy the final result. It worked!
- I should do more calculations before I start cutting into fabric. I should have gotten some more fabric and made the quilt larger.
- I should take into account more that dense quilting REALLY shrinks the quilt.
- This quilt was given and received with lots of joy. Quilts are not just objects… they are gifts of the heart.
P.s. Linking up with Finish it Up Friday at Crazymomquilts.