It is finally time to release October Sky into the world! The pattern has been tested, the pdf has been drafted… the pattern is finished!
You may have already seen some of these pictures and drawings on my blog or on Instagram.
October Sky is a traditional block with a modern twist. It is a foundation paper piecing pattern, even doable for beginners.
The pattern is versatile and I hope that paper piecers can make this pattern their own.
Just look how color placement makes a difference in the pattern.
( Yep, I kind of binged on the jade, turquoise and teal color range, ha ha! )
Not only colour shift or ombre style fabric placement looks great but also strong contrast in colour works really well!
- The pattern October Sky consists of 2 variations of the large star. The first has a courthouse step centre and the second has a economy block centre.
Just one of the block patterns can be used to create a stunning quilt from all of your scraps.
- Both large star variations come in 10 inch and 12 inch blocks.
- Besides the large blocks there are also simpler smaller blocks: one if 5 inch and the other is 6 inch. These small blocks can be combined with the two large blocks.
The possibilities are endless!
- The blocks can be turned into pillows, wallhangings, tablerunners and of course quilts!
- Some blocks can be pieced to form a complex block, while others can be left more simple. When combined they create a very complex looking pattern.
- The October Sky pattern can be done by paper piece beginners, but beware that there any many pieces. Because of the amount of pieces, I rate this pattern at a level of 2 out 5 stars.
The pdf document contains further:
- List of paper piecing tips.
- List of fabric cutting measurements (general size of pieces or width of fabric strips needed, not total requirement of fabric).
- Several quilt options, with basic piecing instructions.
- Coloring suggestions for each block.
- Coloring pages for each block.
- Pattern for Star #1, economy block centre, (large star) in size 10 inches and 12 inches.
- Pattern for Star #2, court house step centre, (large star) in size 10 inches and 12 inches.
- Pattern for small stars in 5 inches and 6 inches.
Have a look at all the lovely test blocks my friends created!
The pattern is available through Craftsy.
Have lovely and peaceful Sunday!
Pingback: Eye candy – test blocks October Sky | ipatchandquilt
October Sky is awesome!
I would someday like to tackle it, but I have a question for you. In terms of paper piecing, I need a one out of five stars. I’ve never done it before, but I’m intrigued. Do you have any pattern recommendations for a (somewhat impatient) newbie like me? 🙂
Pingback: Test Block- October Sky | Sweet Marie's Sewing Room
Pingback: October | Patchwork Perles et Broderies
I really like this pattern but I can’t find it on Crafty.
Hello Joyce! The pattern used to be available through Craftsy, but they changed their policy and no longer offer their website to be used by independent designers. The pattern is now available through my own pattern shop. This is the direct link:
Have a great week!