Hand sewing the binding, check!
Well then, it is finished!
(Read the previous blogpost on this mini here.)
Several Amy Butler fabrics from 2 different collections are combined. Also some other fabrics got thrown into the mix too.
The quilting was done with a silver metallic thread by Madeira: Metallic madeira, embroidery thread, no. 40, 1000m spool. (60% Viscose, 40% metallis Pes.) This thread feels very smooth, compared to the other metallic threads I used.
I used a grey very thin thread in the bobbin: the Invisafil thread by Wonderfil. It worked very very very well! The thread is so thin, that I only had to reload the bobbin ONCE!!! LOVE that!
I lowered the top tension all the way to 0. The thread only broke two or three times during this whole project. I also quilted a bit slower than normal.
I am really happy with the teeny tiny pebbles.
I also used a dark teal embroidery thread on the grey silvery fabric. This is a different kind of thread ; it was thicker and stretchy somehow. It is also made by Madeira. This thread was not easy to use as it unraveled before I could get it through the eye of the needle. (70%polyamide, 30% metallis. Pes.). I will not buy this again for quilting. But I used a regular foot for this little bit of quilting. It worked well. Again, the thread started to unravel before I could bury the ends.
The last metallic thread is a green peacock color metallic by Guterman Sulky. (60% polyamide, 40% Polyester). This thread worked okay, but I preferred the silver thread over all of these. This green thread felt a bit more rough.
I had bought the Craftsy Class on piping and binding a while ago. ( ‘The Perfect Finish’: How to bind a quilt”) It was a good class. Some things I already knew, but lots was new for me. I attempted to add piping to my quilt. I used a cotton thread I had found in a DIY store, as I could not find piping cord online. I had decided to prewash the cord so it would not shrink if this quilt would ever get washed. Great idea… but the cord actually distorted a bit in the wash. You can see that it is a bit ‘wobbly’.
I will be on the look out for the piping cord in the future. I will try to find the polyester cord that is recommended in the crafts class. I don’t think I will use the cotton cord again.
I used another Amy Butler fabric for the back, with a sleeve so Annett can put a dowel through to hang the mini quilt.
- 21″ x 21″
- fusible cotton batting
- featuring little bit of Amy Butler’s newest line DreamWeaver on the front
- pattern: paper piecing pattern “Humming”.
- various metallic threads used for quilting, with Invisafil in the bobbin. 90/14 topstitch needle.
- binding finished by hand, as is the label.
- pieced and quilted on a Janome 7700.
Annett, this will be coming your way!
P.s. Linking up with: