Have you ever used the answer key of a sudoku puzzle for creating a quilt?
(This is not the answer key that I used for the baby quilt, but it really doesn’t matter which one you use.)
Each number in the key represents a different fabric. With 9 fabrics you can create a “random” lay-out where each fabric only appears once in each column and once in each row. It is a huge time saver when deciding on what fabric needs to go where.
Only downside is that sometimes with a limited color palette you have colors that cluster. I have learned to accept that as part of the quick turn over that baby quilts can require.
I quilted the simple patchwork top with a swirl pattern I learned in an Angela Walters class I was fortunate enough to attend in September in France.
The swirls meandered in a horizontal row and between each swirl-row I added a different pattern.
I really felt rusty doing the FMQ, but the results are not too bad.
Between the swirl rows I put different ribbon-like patterns.
In the corner of the quilt I wrote the little boy’s name and the year of his birth.
The letters are a bit scibbly on purpose. I didn’t want a clean and super tidy look.
The binding turned out perfect. I attached the double found binding (2,5″ strip) to the back of the quilt using the default stitch on my Janome 8900. I used the widest walking foot that came with the machine, with the needle all the way to the right. This turns out to be a smidge over 1/4″ from the side of that wide foot. After folding the binding to the front, I repostitioned the needle to its central position and stitched the binding down. The side of the foot neatly lined up with the edge of the quilt. I am really happy with this look.
The quilt turned all wrinkly after washing.
The marks I made (for writing the name) with the water soluable pen dissapeared too.
I have a similar quilt all cut out in pink, creme, and some orangy browns waiting to be pieced. Hope to get to this one soon.