Yes, yes, yes! I did it!!!
Even though you have not seen much of this quilt and its construction here on the blog, it has been an epic journey!
I have participated in two F2F swaps where an international group op quilters created 12 inch blocks for each other in a specific color scheme. We used pictures as the base of that color scheme.
This January I received my gorgeous blocks. What a joy was it to unwrap all the envelopes!
( All the blocks from these two swaps are depicted in this gallery that the swap organizers put together. Some of our group have already finished their quilt as you can see in the gallery. )
Right after my move I dug out all of the blocks… It took a while to gather all the blocks from the various moving boxes, so the picture underneath only shows part of the blocks.
I put two blocks together myself to add to the bunch and then waited for inspiration…
Flying geese sashings???
Flying geese borders???
I was unsure!
Finally, I came up with this idea of the geese as part of a wider border around a set of blocks in the centre.
I felt like I needed corner stones for the geese border.
( These 4 corner stones actually look fabulous together… maybe as one block?! )
Instead of the corner stones, I actually used them as the centre of the flying geese border.
Now the geese become smaller and smaller and they kind of merge into each other.
Between the centre blocks and the geese border, I put a low volume border so I would have some room to play with while doing Freemotion Quilting (FMQ) later.
I created a new set of corner stones of the flying geese border: STARS!
These stars also function a bit like sashings as they move into the sides of the quilt. It will become clear with the picture of the entire quilt, I promise!
Not all the blocks I received have a white background. I selected the four darkest blocks and put them in the middle of the outside edges of the quilt. From those 4 darkest the other blocks were ordered; from dark to light.
I added a border/sashing around those that also went from dark to light also. It created an ombre effect!
Can you see that I have used a variety of grey fabrics?
Between the individueal blocks on the outside I have put a grey strip that would help the ombre effect from one block to the other, just like a color shift. This way there would not be too much contrast between the blocks and the blocks would “flow” into each other.
I adore the ombre effect !
Two full days of work!
But it is finished!!!
I have kept one block behind. I will put all of our names on it and it will function as a label on the back of this quilt. The quilt top is now almost 2 by 2 meters.
Thank you very much you lovely F2F girls!!! This quilt will be a wall hanging in my new house. Just need to quilt it first!
EDIT: You can now vote for the best quilts, mini’s and tops in the Pantone 2017 Quilt Challenge. Go to No Hats in the House to cast your vote, please. Select the ones you like best by clicking on the hearts in the corner of each picture. You can select 1 quilt per category.
p.s. I have linked up with NO HATS IN THE HOUSE for the 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge. I am participated in the “Just the top” category.