In the Autumn of 2017 I was contacted by a quilter that I had met at the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild. She asked me if I would be willing to quilt for a charity she was participating in. The charity is called Verdanda which donates quilts to people with a disability. If you Dutch quilters would like to participate in making quilts or donate fabric to this charity, please check out their website and facebook page.
As I wanted to get more practice on my new longarm , I agreed to help them out. I received 5 quilts top, batting and backing and I only had to add my own thread. You have already see the first of these five, namely the golden-mustard quilt with the orange peels.
Quilt number 2 and 3 are now ready for their spotlight!
This red, black and white one was a real mix of fabrics designs and types of fabric; sweet little fairies, naughty little devils, flowers, and dots were all thrown in the mix.
As you can see from the picture above, the quilt top had some issues. It just wouldn’t lay flat because all the fullness in the centre. I believe the added borders were the cause of the fullness as they were probably put on without measuring. The middle of the quilt top was wider than the top and bottom.
Because of the fullness, I didn’t attempt to do any intricate quilting or ruler work. I put a wide meander on and it worked out fine!
The grey border was made of a kind of upholstery fabric. I had to pull on it a bit to get it to behave. In the end the quilt still wasn’t laying flat, but it was much better than before.
Isn’t the backing fabric cute?
I am glad I am given the opportunity to learn from these quilts on how to handle fullness!
The other quilt was a group effort! Many quilters donated blocks of the same pattern but with their own fabrics. It is a lovely quilt!
All the straight lines needed some curves in my opinion.
I put a copper thread on top of all the gorgeous fabrics.
Even though this quilt was pretty straight, I still ended up with a pucker. Probably because all the fabrics were used on the bias. Hey, I am learning, right! 😉
This is also one of those quilts, you would rather like to keep after finishing the quilting… it was gorgeous!
The backing was a fabulously soft dark brown that showed the quilting perfectly!
Thanks to all the quilters who are helping out this charity!