For years I have been making baby quilts on commission from my parents for their friends and co-workers. As my father has just retired this last December, the last of the baby quilts for co-workers are a boy and a girl quilt. I had some time on my hands so I made them extra special, just because I could.
I adore this color scheme of grayish blues and greens with a dash of yellow ochre/mustard.
I opted for the ‘trip-around-the-world’ pattern with 2 inch strips. That made all the little squares just 1,5 inches… I had wanted to try the trip around the world block again for a while and I took this chance to have some fun with it.
We looked at various lay-outs and settled on a diagonal composition.
As the fabrics had triangles and stripes on them, I used that as a jumping off point for the quilting pattern.
I quilted it densely, as that is what I love to do. And it will help keep the quilt strong after lots of washings, hopefully.
I used a grey solid for the backing, but I threw in the remnants of the fabrics I had used on the top.
It turned out to be a lovely small quilt.
The very last of these baby quilts was for a little girl called Charlotte. My father was given a card with the announcement of the birth. It had the baby’s name on it in a very 1930’s green with a cute drawing of a small child. It was so cute, that I used the color scheme and the drawing as an inspiration.
I matched the color green in the fabrics and added some fabrics with gold and pink. Again, fabrics with striped and dots mostly. Not very babyish, but cute.
I created lots of Half Square Triangles and played around with them on the floor.
In the end I decided to make the quilt a bit larger and I payed the blocks out like the star/flower shape in the Moda Love pattern that I have used before.
I put a mint fabric in the centre.
I used a pink tread to quilt swirl-flowers with are a go-to pattern for me.
They looked so gorgeous in the evening sun.
As you have probably noticed, I used a short stitch length in the stitch regulator, but that was more of an oversight. I could have gone a bit bigger than this.
In the centre square I had copied the outline of the drawing that was on the card and also the name of the child.
Tracing the drawing was probably more easy than I had thought. I went really slow and used a ruler to slowly push the machine in the right direction.
Writing the name was a lot more difficult than I had thought, though.
Lots of starts and stops, so lots of thread to burry, decidedly not my favorite part of quilting, 😉
The quilt is not perfect, but I was happy with the end result. The new parents were delighted, I was told.
Hope to be blogging and sharing my quilty projects with you more in the upcoming months!