The Dutch Modern Quilt Guild of which I am a member decided to participate in this year’s QuiltCon Challenge. For those who are not familiar with this challenge, here a short explanation:
Each group (or member) makes a charity quilt of a certain size to enter in the QuiltCon exhibition. The quilts all have a similar color scheme and a theme. This year’s theme is ‘small piecing’. The quilts, made by groups (or individual members) from all over the world, will be exhibited together. After the exhibit the quilts will be send back to the makers and they decide on the charity the quilt will be given to.
In June 2018 the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild came up with the idea of creating a quilt with a bird’s eye view of a typical Dutch landscape of tulip fields, in a pixelated style. Pixelation is one of the possible characteristics of modern quilts. We chose to use improvisation piecing as the base for our quilt.
In our first get-together for this project we combined donated fabrics (in the particular color scheme) with our own fabrics we had brought along.
We randomly cut the fabrics up in small strips and pieced them.
Per small block, a maximum of two of the prescribed colors (and fabrics that matched) with a sprinkling of white/creme.
We each made many small blocks.
Each block is 3,5 inches…
With TINY piecing!
And we were going to need 690 of those!!!
I think that all members took home some of the fabric that was left over, and others had the fabric sent to their home if they hadn’t been able to attend the meeting.
Here are some many more blocks that I made in the months after.
I made so many as I kept on finding suitable scraps to use in my bins…
Most scraps were only really small remnants, but big enough for using in this ‘small piecing’ project.
And that is how I finally used up some treasures scraps from projects from 2011, 2012 and 2013…
And in the end the whole group did make the necessary 690 blocks!
I will share in a next blogpost what the quilt top looks like now!