I have been having issues… thread issues!
Two weeks ago I treated myself to a lot of shiny thread at the quilt show. I asked the shop ladies if there was any difference between using the polyester versus the cotton thread. They let me believe that it was a personal choice and that both the cotton and the polyester would work fine for FMQ. As I have been using polyester thread by Gutermann for over a year, I decided to stick to the polyester Aurifil. Okay and it was on sale…the polyester was about 80% cheaper as it concerned cones of the old colour chart. Paying 8 euros for 750 m in cotton, or just 2 euros for 1000 m in polyester. Come on… you would have done the same thing with this knowledge, right?
Please let’s not turn this post in a discussion on cotton versus polyester thread! I think that everyone should use what they think is best. In my instance budget had a large impact on the choice I have made.
I just want to SHARE and NAG a bit about my thread issues! 🙂
So everyone is raving about Aurifil… and now it feels like I am the only one out there having trouble with it: It is coming of the spool TOO FAST. It then curls around the spool-thingy and snags there. Result : thread breaking!
Look! This is what the spool holder looks like on top of my Janome Horizon:
The blue arrow points to the thread unraveling on the spool holder.
When the thread then curles around the stick-thingy, it SNAGS AND BREAKS.
It has even been DIGGING INTO my machine!
So far I have tried to do some Thread-CSI:
- It does not make a difference if I use a spool stand next to my machine. Actually it makes it a bit worse as the thread unravels even quicker and “slips down” and snags on the stick-thing there!
- Cleaning the machine, rethreading, changing needles, changing top tension, using a Magic Bobbin Washer, walking away from the machine and even eating chocolate… DIDN’T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
- Using the same thread in the bobbin, or a thread by a different manufacturer, does not make a difference.
- It is important to leave the detachable disc on the cone and putting that end on the spool holder first. Less snagging.
- Pushing the cap stronger onto the spool holder does make a little difference. If the cone can not spin, the thread will not unravel as quickly. Less snagging.
- It seems to make a difference to what cone I am using. Some colours are coming of the spool quicker than others.
My conclusions so far are these:
- Some cones are more affected by “unravelling” than others. Throw way the bad ones, and take my loss!? Maybe there was a reason why these cones were dead cheap?
- The bad cones may contain thread “that has gone bad”. (Does anyone know how old thread has to be to be considered “too old”? )
- I may need some kind of net to put over the cone when sewing.
Are you still there?
Nagging time is over now! 😉
Time for some show and tell instead!
I have two more testblocks to share of the Honey Honey pattern.
Alida changed the pattern a bit an created a variation in the corners. Now there are two diamond shapes interweaving!
The dark background is very effective!
Beth made the four blocks in primary colors and is planning to turn it into a little baby quilt! Wonderful idea, right?
Of course I have also some quilt-stuff of my own to show today! I have finished the top of one of two pillows for my parents livingroom. I revisited a pattern I had used in July for a little foot pillow.
The pattern was inspired by a quilt drawing I saw online . This gorgeous quilt pattern is called “the Tempest” and can be found on the Cherry House Quilts website. As I was uncomfortable with traditional patchwork techniques (inexperience) I drew a paper piecing pattern based on Cherri’s design.
This is what that little pilow looked like:
Now I am making the pillow bigger,( scaled the blocks) and leaving the white fabric out. Too messy with two little grandkids around!
Some of my favorite little blocks with FMQ:
I love the shinyness of the Aurifil thread, but not how it unravels on me!
Alright, I am happy with the way all of the FMQ patterns turned out, but I find stitching in the ditch difficult still.
More, more, more practice I guess!
I am linking up all over the place tonight! 😉
Edit : I HAVE JUST POSTED THE RESULTS OF MY “THREAD CSI”. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ MORE!